Failed Hair Transplants
It is an instance where a hair transplant procedure does now give the desired result. These can be of two types:
- Failure of technique. In this instance, the first transplant might not have been done properly. This can include
- Poor hairline design- the hairline can be too low, or unnatural or asymmetric
- Poor implantation- where the grafts may have not been used properly and there is asymmetry
- Dolls head appearance- where grafts are arranged in clusters with large gaps in between giving an unnatural appearance
- Poor orientation of grafts- where grafts grow in unnatural directions
- Failure of growth- In this instance, there is very poor growth of grafts. The reasons for this include
- Drying of grafts- hair grafts need to be implanted as soon as possible so that they spend as little time outside the body as possible
- Poor handling of grafts- Hair grafts are very fragile and need to be handled gently
- Poor placement of grafts- Grafts should be inserted at the proper depth
There can also be a combination of the above. Hair transplant is a procedure where every single graft needs to be given care for it to grow.
What is a repair hair transplant?
It is a procedure to correct the above problems to give a good result. It can include
- Redoing most of the first procedure by adding density
- Correcting an abnormal hairline, either by Removing some grafts from the first procedure that is too low and replanting where they are needed; or by adding grafts and correcting the shape
- Correcting donor scars from the first procedure
- Correcting the cobblestoning or irregularities by laser or radiofrequency.
A repair transplant should be differentiated from a repeat hair transplant. A repeat hair transplant is done when the first transplant was successful, but the hair loss progresses, and more grafts are needed for the new bald area.
What Could Be The Possible Causes For A Hair Transplant Failure?
- The inexperience of the Surgeon
- Insufficient Post-Operative Care
- Not Being An Ideal Candidate For Hair Transplant
- Dishonesty In Hair Transplant Clinics